Sunday, August 13, 2006

mini-vacation

It's Sunday, and I am on day four with no work. I don't ever work on Saturdays or Sundays, so that is nothing special, but when you start out with Thursday and Friday off, it makes for a nice little break from the 8:30-5 Monday through Friday gig.

The extended weekend started in all reality on Wednesday around 4 when I was off work early for a dentist appointment. It was round two of my deep cleaning sessions. I hadn't been to a dentist in 6 years, and my teeth were gross. Two days of novocaine and pain and the brown is now gone from my teeth. With my coffee and tobacco intake, one can only wonder how long it will be before it all returns. Oh well ... I may quit smoking someday, but I'll never part ways with my precious black coffee.

On Thursday, Ally and I headed to Eugene for a change of scenery and for the Death Cab for Cutie show. Death Cab was pretty good, they played a tight set, but I'm not a huge fan of outdoor concerts and in all honesty, DCFC sound good but are pretty boring to watch. I think metal and hardcore shows have ruined me for life, I just can't help but think that indie bands aren't trying hard enough to entertain me.

After the concert, we headed to John Henry's in downtown Eugene for 80's night. For some reason I ordered a Long Beach, even though I was already probably 4 beers into the night. Apparently that was all I needed to start dancing on stage with Slye, Silke, and their friends. Tyrel's friend Matt pointed out to Ally some girl on the dancefloor who was getting finger-banged ... I can't believe people really do that kind of thing in public.

After we left John Henry's, we went back to Slye's and tapped the keg that we bought earlier in the day. Slye passed out before even taking a sip of his beer and Ally went to bed, so Slye's roommate Jesse and I drank beer and smoked from a hookah until I was ready to pass out.

The next day we went to breakfast at Brail's, watched a bunch of episodes of Tourgasm, and went to coffee at Espresso Roma's before heading back to Portland.

Once home, we went to the Marathon Taverna for Amai's birthday and saw Logan who has been on tour with Emery for last 6 months or so. We left there and went to Sabala's to see Mike V's band Black Mamba. I wasn't feeling that great all night (probably because of the previous night in Eugene) so we left early and went to bed.

Yesterday, Ally worked most of the day so I just took it easy at home. I cut my hair, did the dishes, and did laundry until it was time to pick Ally up from work. I made dinner for us, and then we went to Leslie's house to see their new cat.

After we left there, we picked up some beer and went home to the garage where we drank and played video games until we were tired. It was nice.

Today, Ally is at work again. My mom and grandma are coming over later this afternoon. Yesterday was the 19 year anniversary of the day my grandfather died. I haven't been to his gravesite since his funeral in 1987. I have been meaning to go, but I always find some reason not to.

Tomorrow it will be back to work. I'm not excited about that, but it was inevitable. On Wednesday, Deana and Shain are coming to visit for a few days. We haven't seen them since we were in Vegas for our honeymoon. It should be fun, Shain has never been to Portland. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I could get your mini-vacation started off right. Don't give me shit for the anonymous, I don't feel like signing up.

Tyler Long said...

you don't have to sign up, just click "other"

it was great to see you guys

see you again on Sept. 2nd ... with Adam in tow

Judith Ann said...

Brails???? wow that brings back some memories.

Anonymous said...

Oh snap. I forgot all about motherfuckin' Brails. I'm all up in that grease.

Tyler Long said...

you know we'll be hitting up brail's when we're in Eugene for the football game

Anonymous said...

BTW, I got fingerbanged on the dance floor of JH's once.

So I'm just sayin, it's not that uncommon.

Tyler Long said...

TMI

The myriad of things I didn't want to know about you that that statement just opened up to public knowledge is overwhelming

Anonymous said...

Please, don't act like worse hasn't happened at JH's.

Anonymous said...

Word, and she was hot. I would have banged her on the dance floor. Oh, but Tyler was too drunk.