Tuesday, August 22, 2006

culinary ingenuity

You know you're poor when you have to start putting together weird meals using whatever you've had sitting in your cupboards for a while. Or by combining food items that you wouldn't usually pair together.

Tonight I dined on a grilled cheese sandwich and a reheated barbequed sausage from several days ago. Not exactly a pinnacle of cooking mastery, but filling nonetheless.

As I peer into the cupboard and the fridge, I am start to worry about the ratio of side dishes to main courses. Soon I will be forced to make a meal of only sides. Perhaps au gratin potatoes, green beans and pineapple wedges. Doesn't that sound excellent?!

I can't remember being this food poor since college, when it somehow seemed normal and not in the least bit ridiculous to eat an entire box of Stove Top stuffing in one sitting ... without meat as an entree.

I also have very few slices of bread left for my PB&J sandwiches I've been taking to work. It may take some inventiveness to sustain myself the rest of the week.

I can't wait until Ally gets paid on Friday, then we can buy some groceries.

7 comments:

Tyler Long said...

that's not it, i'm whining because i want to eat good food

Tyler Long said...

in college i ate mac and cheese probably 4 or 5 times a week

Anonymous said...

You're not to ramen yet, it can't be that bad.

Anonymous said...

ramen can help you save up for something good. Being 10cents a bag or less you can eat like a king on ramen and save a dollar a meal for some fried chicken or something

Tyler Long said...

I don't eat ramen

If you want to know why, I suggest you leave a bag in your cupboard for a few years and then open it ... where did these worms come from, the bag was closed?!?!?!?!?

after that happened to me, I won't touch the stuff

Anonymous said...

Sides are the best food.

BTW, I'd still eat mac and cheese 4 or 5 times a week.

Tyler Long said...

mac and cheese is versatile. you can add stuff to make it different. Here are a few things that I have enjoyed in my mac and cheese (not necessarily all at once, although that too might be good):

hotdogs, chicken, cream cheese, barbeque sauce, taco sauce, cajun seasoning, chili