Monday, September 25, 2006

a handyman I am not

One thing I have learned since I bought a house is that I am not good with tools. I never really learned how to build things, fix things, or work on cars. I can't really remember if this was the result of my dad leaving home when I was a preteen, or if he tried to show me things and I just didn't pay any attention. Nevertheless, I look around my home making a mental list of things around the house that are lacking or in need of repair, and I don't have the tools or knowledge for fixing them.

I want to change this. I'm realistic about it, I know that change is slow. I want to start out with some small easy projects. As I learn more and become better, I will have purchased the tools I need one by one and gained knowledge (hopefully) in woodworking, plumbing, electrical, etc.

So, what should I start with? I have thought about making a dog house, but Odin doesn't really stay outside. A bird house is too small, and I had the only tree in our yard cut down. When Tyrel moved out, he took our end tables. We have a table lamp that is sitting on the floor, and our cable modem and router are sitting on a mini-fridge that would serve a better purpose out in the garage. I found some instructions online for a coffee table. I was thinking that I could make a few adjustments to make the table square instead of rectangular and make two end tables.

Hopefully soon I will have two homemade end tables, a few new tools, a bit of woodworking knowledge and all of my fingers. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good place to start yo.

Just start taking shit apart. Then you have to figure out how to put it back together or you're stuck w/o it.

You could always call my gramps if you need to know how to put something back together; Just make sure you set aside an afternoon to hear the story.

Anonymous said...

You had many an chance to help around the house and learn the skills you now lack. You know Doug would have whipped you into shape and you would be an expert now. I guess hindsight is 20/20. tee hee hee.

Tyler Long said...

i didn't want to work on a house I didn't own ... or do chores for someone else's parents

Anonymous said...

But think of the mad skills you missed out on.

Tyler Long said...

I got other mad skills