Sunday, September 17, 2006

changing my mind

I've been thinking a lot lately about the railroad job situation. I got invited to a hiring session the other day, but they called me on a wednesday for a hiring session on monday. I need a week's notice to ask for a day off from work, and I had already asked for the next monday off. Besides, Mondays are our busiest day of the week at work, and I like my co-workers too much to take too many Mondays off. So, I'm not going to the hiring session tomorrow.

I've also been thinking a lot about the lifestyle changes that I would have to accept if I were to take a job with the railroad. A railroad employee has to be on call and ready to work 24/7, 365. On top of that, the railroad companies do random drug and alcohol tests. I don't do drugs, but I do like to drink. Having to be on call all the time would make it hard to drink, or even to hang out with friends or family. The job would be my life. I would have to give up my social life for higher pay. Having extra money, and maybe not having to have roommates would be nice, but I'm not sure that it is worth giving up my life as I know it.

I've come to realize that I get paid pretty well at my job, and that it is a pretty good job. It isn't the most exciting job, but the pay and benefits are good, and the work isn't too hard. I'm sure with time I will get promoted and be making more money. Also, in a few months I will owe less on my car than the trade-in value. At that point I could trade my car in for a cheaper model so that I am only paying for a few grand, instead of over $12,000. That would bring my car payment down quite a bit which would help out with money.

I think that I have come to realize that better times (financially) are on the horizon. Ally is making good money now too, and if she continues to enjoy her job and do a good job, maybe they will make her a manager and she'll be bringing home even more. Lower car payments and more pay will put us in much better financial stability. I don't need a job at the railroad for that.

2 comments:

Tyler Long said...

the easiest way I can put it is to say that I am responsible for the attorney's schedules, so that they don't miss deadlines for filing paperwork

Anonymous said...

Docket all day long makes tyler dull boy Docket all day long makes tyler dull boy Docket all day long makes tyler dull boy Docket all day long makes tyler dull boy Docket all day long makes tyler dull boy Docket all day long makes tyler dull boy Docket all day long makes tyler dull boy....and so on. Wise choice to sit out on the rail-job(i can hear matt and dawn laughing at that joke right now...well, maybe not matt because he wouldn't want you to quit). I too believe that another position will open up there, and will be at a better rate. You never know. I, myself an itching for something new, but I don't want to look cuz I'm lazy.