Thursday, January 04, 2007

no longer invincible

For years I have always consumed whatever foods and/or beverages I wanted to. I never really felt like I had a reason not to.

I love food. Especially fatty food like pizza and cheeseburgers. I also love beer. I used to love Coca-Cola, but when I learned of the damage it was doing to my kidneys, my other internal organs and my bones I decided to quit drinking any sodas. That was a very long time ago ... 4 or 5 years ... the specifics are hazy at this point. I never cut back on my intake of fatty foods however, and it seems that it has finally caught up with me.

About a week ago I had some blood work done in order to figure out if I could take some medication in order to get rid of my acne once and for all. The nurse called back a day or two later to let me know that my triglycerides were really high, which pretty much means high cholesterol. I was asked to come back after fasting for 10-12 hours, which I did on Tuesday. Today I got another call from the nurse asking me if I was sure that I had indeed fasted before having my blood drawn. When I confirmed that I had, she told me that it was very important that I switch to a low fat diet and be re-tested in 2 weeks.

I looked up triglycerides on WebMD and learned that if your count is high it is probably due to an intake of too many calories, a lack of exercise and too much alcohol. That sounds like my lifestyle ... whoops!

So now I guess I need to trade in my pizza, burgers, fries, beer, etc. for a diet of grilled chicken, salad, rice, water and cottage cheese. Sounds great!

I guess anything is better than dying.

6 comments:

Judith Ann said...

It's not your fault, it's society's. Sue society.

Shanny said...

adam went through the same thing. It is hard but really worth it. Fyi i am going to school to be a nutritionist as well as something to do with fitness,so if you want some help we would love to help.

Another good cholesterol lowerer is the south beach diet. its actually a good diet.

Tyler Long said...

what did adam go through?

Unknown said...

The same realization after my doctor doing my bloodwork and telling me that I was going to have diabetes and heart disease before I was 40, because my LDLs were so high. So I did that diet for a few weeks, and I pretty much can't eat shitty food w/o offsetting it w/ at least one healthy meal.

It sucks, but like you said it's better then being dead. Pretty much everyone that you and I know would have shitty bloodwork at this point. At least we are lucky enough to know about it while it's still early enough to fix. Most people (i.e. our parents) won't know about it until it's too late.

Tyler Long said...

That's what i keep thinking. Maybe this is the catalyst that I needed to start living a healthier lifestyle. It's hard to change, but in the long run it is for the better.

I feel bad about all of the crap we have made you eat with us when we are in Seattle.

Unknown said...

It's not that bad, I secretly love it because Shannon forces me to be smart and not eat like an American.

It's kinda what you want it to be Tylo. You can get away with eating a lot of shitty food if you want, but at some point you have to pay the piper.

You really do feel a lot better after eating well for a couple weeks and getting some exercize. No bullshit.