Thursday, December 21, 2006

disappointing

Call me a bad fan, but I wasn't expecting the Ducks to win their bowl game against BYU. Oregon was favored to win in every poll I read, but the facts were in favor of BYU. Sure the Ducks had the number 8 offense in the nation, and one of the best pass defenses in the nation, but BYU entered the game with an explosive offense behind a quarterback who averaged 250 yards per game. Add to that the Duck's three straight losses to end the regular season versus #19 BYU's 10 straight wins, and in my mind it looked like Oregon was going to lose.

What I wasn't expecting was the absolute blowout that happened.

BYU won the game 38-8 against a Duck's team that looked like they didn't want to be there in the first place. After the lackluster performance they displayed, maybe they didn't even deserve to be there.

I hate talking bad about my alma mater's football team, but they just looked terrible. It's almost embarrassing.

All in all, they did finish the season 7-6, which is still a winning season, and will be returning a lot of players next season. Hopefully everyone that isn't graduating will return next year with more experience and composure, and hopefully the recruiting class coming in next year will add at least a few good players to the roster.

Maybe this was a learning experience, although after 4 straight bowl losses you have to wonder how many of those one team needs before they can get it right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm stoked. Now everyone will sleep on them next year.