Wednesday, July 30, 2008

no more link to Texas

My Dad moved back to Oregon from Texas and I'm pretty happy about that. I'll admit that I am not the best at calling or visiting my family, but they are definitely important to me. I honestly can't remember how long ago my Dad even moved to Texas, but I am pretty sure it has been several years. The reason I can't recall very well is because for much of that time my Step mom, LaNora and my sister, Adriane have been living here in Oregon after a brief relocation to Texas. With them here, my Dad visited quite often. I actually think I saw him more often while he was living there than before he moved. I guess that means that I'm not necessarily excited because now I will see him a lot more, but instead I'm excited because now I won't have to spend money and use vacation time to go to Dallas, Texas. I can't say that the Dallas/Fort Worth area is a place that I have ever had a desire to visit. I would visit Austin and probably also San Antonio, but Dallas and Houston are two places I have never really considered for a vacation. But it doesn't matter now because I no longer have any reason to go to Texas.

Last weekend he came over and helped me install a new gutter over our patio. When the patio was installed, the drain for the gutter was covered with concrete so I wanted to reinstall that gutter in order to reroute the rainwater to the opposite side and off of the patio. I also wanted to see if installing gutters was easy enough to do without hiring someone else to do it. The installation wasn't all that difficult, but the way the roof is on my house, it may or may not drain correctly. It rained a bit yesterday and I went outside to see if there was water coming out of the downspout. There was. Hopefully in a stronger downpour it still works well.

So, not only did I get some work done on the house, I got to spend a bit of time with my Dad. Maybe there will be more of this in the future ... there are definitely plenty of projects to work on.

No comments: