Wednesday, June 18, 2008

delicious

So we finally ate at Apizza Scholls. I was worried that it couldn't in any way live up to all of the hype. It did. This is one place that has earned its reputation. The pizzas were huge, the slices were cut big, the crust was slightly charred and crispy while still chewy inside. The choices for toppings were intriguing, and all of the toppings were extremely fresh and flavorful. We ordered two pizzas to split between Eric, Krystin, Ally and myself. One pizza was sausage and peppers while the other was half margherita with capicola and half cheese with truffle oil and sea salt. I'd have to say that my favorite was the margherita with capicola. The capicola was perfectly cured with just the right amount of flavor. The sausage was some of the best I've had with a ton of flavor; not too greasy yet not too dried out. The peppers were soft and had a perfect, not overpowering tang of vinegar. The truffle oil was interesting, I had never had it before, and added a distinct smoky flavor to the cheese pizza. All in all,the pizza was easily some of the best I've had. I hesitate to dub it "the best" since I've had a lot of pizza from here to NYC and many places in between. I also think that at times I expect different things from pizza, and at times I may prefer deep dish to this more east coast style of pizza ... not too often though. I will definitely return to Apizza Scholls in the future. This may be a place I start bringing friends from out of town. Especially our friend Kristy from New Haven, Connecticut ... the birthplace of the real apizza. She can be the final judge of its authenticity.




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Krystin said...

God that pizza was good. And my husband makes it LOOK good.

Where I Lived and What I Lived For said...

You know what the creepy thing is?
That's not even my hand.........

Oh, wait, no.....
That's mine.

Tyler Long said...

I wish that wasn't your hand ... it would make the picture seem creepy and the look on your face would be the look of a man being tortured by having to eat delicious pizza

Unknown said...

ha. Yeah, I have to get myself over there soon. But just for the pizza. ;) I keeeed. People take their pizza pretty seriously here in New Haven, I must say. I've had pizza all over and I have to say that "apizza" style or New Haven style is the best tasting.