Sunday, April 15, 2007

Catholicism ... wow

On Saturday, Ally and I went to Keizer to see my niece get baptized. I am now her godfather.

I was raised going to church, but not a Catholic church. The only time I had previously been to a Catholic mass was for a wedding.

I am in no way religious, so going to a church felt pretty weird. What made it even more weird was just the nature of Catholicism. I feel like Catholicism has more to do with tradition than actual faith or spirituality. Most of the things that I find creepy about religions were all part of the ceremony. It's as if "things" are more important than god. The priest kept kissing the altar and the fancy bible he had. The congregation knew exactly when to stand up, when to sit down, when to kneel, and when to recite a prayer (as well as which prayer to recite at that moment). The only things missing that would have creeped me out more would have been snakes and people talking in tongues.

I hope I never have to go to a Catholic mass again. Really, I hope I never have to go to a church again. I guess I was probably a pretty bad choice for godfather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

26 hours till departure for NYC, baby!! yeah