Thursday, March 15, 2007

a worried parent

Ally didn't work yesterday, so she came downtown to have lunch with me. While at lunch she told me that Odin (our dog) had been throwing up a lot. I've had enough dogs to know that they throw up once in a while, so I didn't think very much of it.

A bit later in the day I start talking to Ally on gmail messenger and she tells me that the dog is still throwing up a lot and also has really bad diarrhea. Ally calls the vet and takes Odin to the vet. I take the bus to meet them there after work. The vet tells us that he is severely dehydrated, which is to be expected, and that his temperature seems normal. They had to run some tests and put him on an IV. Unfortunately they were closing soon, so we had to leave him there overnight.

It was weird not having the dog in the house last night, especially not sleeping next to us. It's really easy to notice when a 90 pound dog is missing. It's weird again this morning as my daily routine involves taking him outside and feeding him.

All we can do now is wait for the vet to call and tell us what is wrong. I hope he is alright, and whatever it was has passed. I hope he is feeling better, and he can come home today.

7 comments:

Judith Ann said...

Get well soon Odin!

Tyler Long said...

Odin's home. He seems a bit sad, but he seems a lot better. We are giving him Pepcid (doctor's orders) and bland wet dog food.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear he's doing better.

Anonymous said...

I suck as an auntie, I didn't read your blog earlier, Is the little noodle ok...now? did anyone ever figure out what was wrong

Tyler Long said...

he had pancreatitis ... which is apparently less serious in dogs than humans. Basically he ate something pretty bad for him. Too bad we don't know what. It must have been something in the yard.

Shanny said...

or a someones face! JK

Tyler Long said...

yeah, maybe it was the piece of my leg that he chomped down on