Saturday, February 10, 2007

free rock

Thursday night Tim, Ally and I went to see Quasi play a free show at the Doug Fir. It was the third time in the last year that I have seen them play for free in Portland. My co-worker Keenan met up with us even though he had never seen or really heard Quasi.

There were two opening bands, both of which were mediocre at best and quite boring too. Once Quasi started playing though, it was obvious that it was worth the wait. They played a pretty good mix of songs spanning their seven albums. There was also a lot of improvised "jamming" between songs that was fun to watch. Sam is an amazing musician and Janet hits the drums harder than almost any drummer I've seen. Joanna Bolme joined the duo on bass, and she is an excellent addition, rounding out the songs and giving the jam sessions a deep, driving rhythm.

It was a great show. I even think that Keenan became a fan. It's good to know that at least one of the Portland bands that I loved in high school is still around and making great music. I hope they keep it up and I get to see them a bunch more times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, Skiploader for life man!

Anonymous said...

ah hmm. Crackerbash...

Tyler Long said...

crackerbash isn't back together