Monday, May 14, 2007

a scary start to the weekend

I got a text message from Shannon Friday morning, as I was getting ready for work, telling me that Adam had been in an accident and broke his back. It really freaked me out. I haven't had to deal with tragedy very much so far in life, and I'm not really ready yet. I was so worried that I called in sick to work and waited patiently for more news and information.

When I heard back from Shannon, I found out that Adam had bought a motorcycle, and due to inexperience driving one, accidentally ran it into a parked car. Just another reason for me to never want a motorcycle. I would drive a scooter, but nothing with more than 150cc engine in it. That is just scary to me.

It was easy to assume the worse, especially being here in Portland while he was in Seattle, and getting my information over a cell phone. Ally and I went to the florist and ordered some flowers to be delivered to his hospital room. Shannon did a good job of keeping us up to date on what was happening. I started to worry a bit less everytime I talked to Shannon. I'm not sure if she was staying calm herself, but she did a great job of keeping me assuaged.

Adam had surgery that night, and afterwards was fitted for a brace. Shannon tried to send a picture mail to my phone, but since I don't pay extra for that service I had to be told that it was a picture of Adam standing on his own. Knowing this made me extremely happy. I would rather that my friend hadn't had to experience this, but at least he won't be paralyzed. He's a tough guy, and I'm sure he'll recover quickly.

Now, how do I convince him to stay away from motorcycles?

6 comments:

Judith Ann said...

Holy crap! If you talk to him send my regards.

jaysus, bloody motorcyles.

Shanny said...

Well he is convinced for right now!

We got home last night about 10pm!

Unknown said...

The accident just made me realize how much I love my friends and family so deeply. People don't understand how much strength they draw from others, and how critical it is to have that strength.

There were some scary times in the last few days, but thinking about just how much I care for you folks gives a person so much strength.

Details and other stuff will come later, but I'm home, and fully ambulatory, have been the whole time. Never lost consciousness, and in a few months or so I'll get the brace off and can start real physical therapy; The doctors say I should fully recover, and a I get a bad ass scar as a bonus!

<3 Adam

Tyler Long said...

i'm so glad that you're doing so well.

you gave us all a pretty big scare.

i'll try to make it up there to see you as soon as my schedule allows. you picked a busy time to hurt yourself.

Shanny said...

when are you guys going to come visit?!

Tyler Long said...

unfortunately, Adam hurt himself at a busy time. last weekend was packed with concerts, out of town guests and birthday parties. this weekend I have a tattoo appointment on Saturday. i'll check my schedule and let you know when i can make it up there.